The 6th Bombardment Wing, Medium was established on December 20, 1950. It was activated on January 2, 1951 at Walker AFB, NM. It then flew the B-29 Superfortress. In August of 1952, it received the new B-36 Peacemaker and the unit was redesignated the 6th Bomb Wing (Heavy) . The B-36 was flown by men of the 24th, 39th and 40th Bombardment Squadrons. Conducted strategic bombardment training from activation in 1951 until 1 Sep 1959. The 6th was deployed at Andersen AFB, Guam from October of 1955 to January of 1956.
The Jet Age
In 1957, the 6th Bombardment Wing, Heavy, began receiving the new B-52E jet bomber. They were flown by it’s existing squadrons. In September 1959, the 24th and 30th Bombardment Squadrons joined the newly assigned 4129th Combat Crew Training Squadron to train B-52 and KC-135 crews. The 40th Bombardment Squadron continued flying operational missions until 10 Jun 1960. From 10 Jun 1960 to 1 Dec 1961 the wing flew a few operational missions in a non-combat ready status.
The 40th Squadron returned to operational status on December 1, 1961. The other two bomb squadrons regained tactical status on September 5, 1963. The 39th Squadron discontinued a few days later, but the 24th and 40th continued global bombardment training through December 1966, when they phased down for inactivation. The wing was redesignated the 6th Strategic Aerospace Wing on May 1, 1962;
On August 1, 1951, the 307th Air Refueling Squadron was attached to the wing. It flew KB-29 tankers until deactivated June 16, 1952. On June 25, 1965, the 310th Air Refueling Squadron was attached to the wing. It flew KC-135s.
The 597th Strategic Missile joined the wing on Sept. 1, 1961. It’s men manned the newly installed complex of Atlas missiles. Operations were phased out in February 1965 and the missile squadron was inactivated March 25.
The 6th Strategic Air Wing ceased B-52 operations in early 1967. The wing was moved without personnel or equipment to Eielson Air Force Arkansas On March 25, 1967. There it was redesignated as the 6th Strategic Wing. It replaced the 4157th Strategic Wing and assumed the resources and missions of that wing.